Tuesday, February 8, 2011

5K bound!

So two years ago I started training for a 5K for my company, Youth Villages. It would have been my first 5K and I was soo pumped about doing it. The week before the race I got my time to just under 40 minutes for 3.2 miles. I know it doesn't seem like a huge accomplishment because that has me running a 12ish minute mile, but for my little legs and the extra weight on my body I'd say that's pretty darn good. However, not running for the last several months has me starting almost at square one. I had my first training day today and I got 1.4 miles in in 22 minutes. I am doing my own spin on the couch to 5K only because I'm not quite at square one. The goal is to run 4-5 days a week and fit some other workouts in there too. I'm going to start out with 30 minute jogs to build up. From there I'll build up in ten minute intervals.

I'm prone to shin splints so I've got to take it slow and steady and make sure that I'm giving my legs plenty of rest and stretching and love. Shin splints kept me from doing as well as I hoped with training last time, but I think because I went all out and didn't take care of myself the way I should. This time around I know what I need to do. I have the ice and biofreeze ready if need be. Keep pushing me guys. I'm going to need the motivation. Oh and feel free to stop by my page and donate to my efforts for Youth Villages. Here is the link http://support.youthvillages.org/goto/JesslynMcGlumphy

No comments:

Post a Comment